Monday, July 25, 2011

little reminders of a big God

I love the little things God does. His reminders that He's there, understands what's going on, cares. It's often the little things that many would call mere coincidence that strike me deeply.

Like this awesome friend who claimed Jeremiah 33:3, and now whenever I see "33" anywhere (and it's amazing how much they show up!) I can't help but be reminded of God. Of a God who, even at my lowest of lows, listens, wants me to call, has an incredible plan, and reveals His plan (and even the mystery that is Himself) one beautiful piece at a time.

This morning my little reminder was in Nehemiah. For some reason, I've kept up the Bible reading plan from the church I went to in Jackson. On what I thought was a random whim this morning, I decided to get back into reading not just the New Testament passages, but also the Old Testament (which happened to just be starting Nehemiah). As I start off the week needing to get back into the swing of support-raising, fighting to persevere when being fully supported financially feels so far away, what a beautiful and gentle rebuke from my Father that He's got it under control.

Nehemiah was broken (because Jerusalem is an absolute wreck). But He prayed with praise, confession, and bringing his request before God. Then 4 months later, he confronts the King. He was always praying, and even though he was terrified, the time comes and he makes his request to the King: can I go back to my hometown and rebuild? This guy who was terrified just to ask for permission to go, once he sees he has the King's favor, goes on to ask for a free travel pass, and by the way King, would you mind providing all the lumber for the rebuilding? And instead of executing the guy for being so bold, the king fills his request and more- sending soldiers with him. So through this foreign king, God provides for all of Nehemiah's needs so he can go.

God provides. Sure the process might take months, sure I'll be absolutely terrified sometimes, but in incredible ways that blow our minds, God provides. It's a simple message I was probably taught at the age of 4, but sometimes...it's good to be reminded.

No comments:

Post a Comment