Wednesday, June 29, 2011

What's going on with this nuclear plant that was in the news a few month ago?

While the headlines have forgotten Japan for weeks, and my focus has been on any articles I can dig up about the emotional/mental toll it has been taking, especially among the thousands living in shelters, one of the top questions I'm asked is about the nuclear/radiation situation. And I realize more and more how little I actually know, and how hard it is to find, understand, and summarize anything nuclear related.

I mean, even Lady Gaga is all about helping Japan. Somehow praying for Japan has become the cool thing to do... but I digress. So in answer to all questions about the nuclear plant, this article is the latest info I can find. Check out the little animated slideshow at the bottom of the article for a play by play of what happened.

In summary, they have started a system of pumping in loads of water that "will solve the problem of contaminated water, which gave all sorts of worries to the world. Second, it will enable stable cooling of reactors," and keep them on the path to their goal of a cold shutdown of the plant by January.

No comments:

Post a Comment