Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Reflections of Light

After a day full of zoom calls and emails I was restless, and thrilled to realize I had time to take a walk before my evening zoom call began. In this concrete jungle, my go-to place to walk is a paved path by the Sumida River. 

I have spent many hours over the past 9 years along this river path. Exercising, letting my mind wander, thinking through problems, praying, talking with a friend. This night my mind quickly bounced to several things that weighed heavy on my heart. Decisions, conflicts, friends who were hurting. Again and again I realized my thoughts were an internal griping monologue instead of an honest prayer directed to God, and again and again I struggled to redirect my thoughts into prayer, or reign them in for a moment of simply being still with Him. 

It suddenly occurred to me it was surprising how many other people were walking or even just sitting by the river. Odd on a weekday evening... but then again the weather was lovely?  I walked along the guardrail looking down into the still water reflecting the city lights, lost in thought. I didn't think anything of it when a lady walking from the other way paused in front of me and took a picture. But then there was another. And another. I looked up from the river to the widening path and saw dozens of people ahead taking pictures of something behind me. What was going on?!

I turned around and instantly understood. A full harvest moon. My pictures do it no justice. It was big, shining, glorious. 

Many of these people had clearly come out specifically to see the harvest moon, knowing it would be beautiful tonight, like the middle-aged men with massive cameras, and the four masked old ladies sitting squished together on a bench and chatting softly. Many people paused their commute home or bike ride to pick up children from daycare to enjoy it for a moment. 

If they hadn't been there, I would not have looked up and looked behind me. If it had been just one person taking a snapshot, I still would have missed this beautiful sight. But all of these people were giving their time and focusing their attention on something they considered worthy and beautiful. 

I only knew I was tired and needed a walk. But when I saw their focus it caught my attention. Not to look at them, but to look at what they were looking at. After enjoying the moon for a moment I pulled out my phone to snap a picture as well. I knew it wouldn't do the scene justice, but I couldn't resist capturing even a weak reflection to remind myself, and to share with others.  

For the rest of my walk it was easy to set aside my decisions, conflicts, wounds, and worries. I was busy thinking about how beautiful the moon was. Enjoying how it looked a bit different from different perspectives as I walked, as the clouds moved. I thanked God for the shining moon, and for the people who alerted me to its beauty by simply being there enjoying it together. 

I prayed that I, that we, the church, would be like them. As we worship the one who is beautiful and worthy, may others look not at us but follow our gaze to Him. May repentance be at the heart of my worship, may worship be the heart of our mission - or of His mission that we get to tag along on, rather. As the first missionary said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  (John 8:12)





2 comments:

  1. This post is lovely. I love the photo of the city, the water, and the moon.I chuckled at the people of the city coming out to photograph it. I’m glad you have a nice place to walk by the water. Ellie, I honestly cannot imagine living in a city like Tokyo. And I did not realize that you have been there 9 years. Your angel photo is definitely a keeper. You should have it blown up into a poster!!! I will pray for the picnic, I ‘now all will be eager to attend an in person function. Bodily fellowship is so needful, especially for believers. I look forward to your next letter and blogpost. Prayers for your ministry and for your continued growth as you continue your ministry. Love in Christ Jesus, Gena Everitt

    ReplyDelete